Saturday, June 30, 2018

Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Glaze


These delicious, soft, moist banana bread bars may be my favorite way to use ripe bananas! Bananas are a hot commodity in our house! I love them every morning sliced in my cereal, yogurt or on top of my peanut butter toast.

My kids would eat as many bananas a day as I would let them, and Jeff takes half of a banana with him on his way to work every morning.

These little bars are insanely good. They are super moist and the “bread” part tastes almost more like cake. It’s to die for. Also, I’m pretty sure I would eat anything that was smothered in this delicious browned butter frosting.

If I make these in a jelly roll pan I like to cut them in big squares, like a sheet cake. I’ve also made them many times in a 9×13” pan. They’re much thicker that way, but equally as delicious, and I like to cut them into small squares to make cute little snack bites.

INGREDIENTS

For the Banana Bread Bars:
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
  • 1/2 cup butter softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 3-4 ripe bananas mashed
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
For the Brown Butter Glaze:
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp milk
INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan, or a 9x13’’ pan (depending on if you want thin “sheet cake” style bars or thicker bars).

For the bars:
  1. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the sour cream and eggs, bananas and vanilla extract.  
  2. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and mix just until moistened. Stir in walnuts, if using.
  3. Spread batter evenly into greased pan.  For a jelly roll pan, bake for 18 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with few crumbs. For a 9x13’’ pan, bake for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with few crumbs.
  4. Please visit Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Glaze for full instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment